This time I have done something different. After posting some draft news and the updated cumulative mock draft board (you can find the last one here) with new mock drafts by John Sickels, Baseball America and Diamond Scape Scouting I've pointed out the Rays haul in these drafts. Afterwards I've done my own mock based on these three drafts. These sums up to 6 potential Rays draft hauls. Please comment on and even grade these hauls in the comment section.
First some draft news
- Austin Hedges (HS/C) is more and more linked to the Boston Red Sox. They really seem to like him and his excellent defensive and okay offensive potential. This makes an Andrew Susac or Blake Swihart selection by the Red Sox more unlikely. His reportedly high price seems to make him fall to the 1st supp. or even 2nd round.
- Trevor Story (HS/SS) who has often been connected with the Rays, as he is the typical helium up-the-middle prospect the Rays covete, is rising up draft boards. He is being considered as a late 1st round selection.
- The Oklahoma prep pitching talent is very impressive in this draft. Next to Dylan Bundy and Archie Bradley, Michael Fullmer is the states latest high-ceiling talent. He has the potential for an above average 4-pitch-mix (FB, SL, CH, CU) with excellent FB velocity (mid 90s).
- Some players who are could to be taken within the top 20 picks, mostly due to signability, are college players C.J. Cron, Kolten Wong, Michael Levy, Alex Meyer and Tyler Anderson. As Kevin and I mentioned, lots of teams follow the strategy to take college position players early on as this easily is the talent pool with the least depth.
The updated cumulative mock draft board
I've weighed the new 3 mocks more (200%) as they are more up-to-date. If anybody wants the Excel-Spreadsheet, just send me a mail and I will send it to you.
(Click at the table for a larger view)
The draft hauls:
(Click at the table for larger view)
- My take on the BA draft: Overall I like it very much, but I would have taken two picks differently. I would have taken Henry Owens over Fernandez as I slightly prefer him and I would have taken Brandon Nimmo over Blake Swihart. I don't think Swihard is very easy to sign and I overall rate them fairly even in talent level.
- My take on the John Sickels draft: I don't specifically like his haul. While I very much like the prep pitchers taken, I think some of them are slight overdrafts at the points they were taken.
- My Take on the Diamond Scape Scouting draft: The first five picks are a dream come true. I agree with them nearly completely. With the next five picks I especially like the Smith Jr. and Gaines drafts. The other three don't offer the upside of other players available at this point in my view.
- What do you guys think of my Rays drafts based on these three? While one is very pitching heavy (John Sickels) and one is very hitter heavy (DSS) I like each of them. I have tried to take the best player available and I am okay with it. Regarding the Purke and Bell picks: Take a flyer on them. If they sign you got potential impact players in return.