- INF Tim Beckham - Durham Bulls
- OF Kevin Kiermaier - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- INF Hak-Ju Lee - Montgomery Biscuits
- RHRP Lenny Linsky - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- LHRP Chris Rearick - Montgomery Biscuits
- LHP C.J. Riefenhauser - Montgomery Biscuits
- RHRP Kirby Yates - Montgomery Biscuits
- INF/OF Richie Shaffer - Hudson Valley Renegades (taxi squad - only eligible to play on Wednesdays and Saturdays)
- Hitting coach Steve Livesey - Rays minor league hitting coordinator
- Trainer Chris Tomashoff - Gulf Coast League Rays
Other orgs who will contribute players to the Desert Dogs include the Oakland Athletics, Atlanta Braves, Milwaukee Brewers, and Florida Marlins. The last time the Rays sent players to the Desert Dogs was in 2009.
As in past seasons the league will consist of six teams in two divisions, with orgs assigned as follows for 2012:
Mesa Solar Sox: Astros, Cubs, Dodgers, Orioles, Tigers.
Salt River Rafters: Blue Jays, D-backs, Nationals, Rockies, White Sox.
Scottsdale Scorpions: Angels, Giants, Indians, Pirates, Yankees.
Peoria Javelinas: Mariners, Padres, Phillies, Reds, Twins.
Phoenix Desert Dogs: Athletics, Braves, Brewers, Marlins, Rays.
Surprise Saguaros: Cardinals, Mets, Rangers, Red Sox, Royals.
Some other notes...
Season schedule: Opening day for the league’s 20th anniversary season is Tuesday, October 9th. The Rising Stars game is scheduled for Saturday, November 3rd at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick. The league championship game will be Saturday, November 17th at Scottsdale Stadium.
Weekly schedule: The league plays Monday through Saturday at six Maricopa County spring training stadiums during the six weeks prior to Thanksgiving.
Game times: 12:35 p.m. and 6:35 p.m. local time.
The venues for 2012 remain the same:
Mesa Solar Sox -> Mesa Hohokam Stadium
Peoria Javelinas -> Peoria Sports Complex
Phoenix Desert Dogs -> Phoenix Municipal Stadium
Salt River Rafters -> Salt River Fields at Talking Stick
Scottsdale Scorpions -> Scottsdale Stadium
Surprise Saguaros -> Surprise Stadium
Tuesday, 10/9 - Scottsdale Scorpions, 12:35
Wednesday, 10/10 - at Scottsdale Scorpions, 6:35
Thursday, 10/11 - Peoria Javelinas, 12:35
Friday, 10/12 - at Peoria Javelinas, 12:35
Saturday, 10/13 - at Mesa Solar Sox, 12:35
Sunday, 10/14 - Off Day
Monday, 10/15 - Salt River Rafters, 12:35
Tuesday, 10/16 - at Salt River Rafters, 6:35
Wednesday, 10/17 - at Surprise Saguaros, 12:35
Thursday, 10/18 - Surprise Saguaros, 12:35
Friday, 10/19 - Mesa Solar Sox, 12:35
Saturday, 10/20 - Peoria Javelinas, 12:35
Sunday, 10/21 - Off Day
Monday, 10/22 - at Scottsdale Scorpions, 12:35
Tuesday, 10/23 - Mesa Solar Sox, 12:35
Wednesday, 10/24 - at Surprise Saguaros, 12:35
Thursday, 10/25 - at Salt River Rafters, 12:35
Friday, 10/26 - at Surprise Saguaros, 6:35
Saturday, 10/27 - Scottsdale Scorpions, 12:35
Sunday, 10/28 - Off Day
Monday, 10/29 - Salt River Rafters, 12:35
Tuesday, 10/30 - Mesa Solar Sox, 12:35
Wednesday, 10/31 - at Scottsdale Scorpions, 12:35
Thursday, 11/1 - at Salt River Rafters, 12:35
Friday, 11/2 - Surprise Saguaros, 12:35
Saturday, 11/3 - Rising Stars Game, 5:10
Sunday, 11/4 - Off Day
Monday, 11/5 - at Surprise Saguaros, 12:35
Tuesday, 11/6 - at Peoria Javelinas, 12:35
Wednesday, 11/7 - Peoria Javelinas, 12:35
Thursday, 11/8 - at Mesa Solar Sox, 12:35
Friday, 11/9 - Scottsdale Scorpions, 12:35
Saturday, 11/10 - Salt River Rafters, 12:35
Sunday, 11/11 - Off Day
Monday, 11/12 - Peoria Javelinas, 12:35
Tuesday, 11/13 - at Peoria Javelinas, 12:35
Wednesday, 11/14 - Surprise Saguaros, 12:35
Thursday, 11/15 - at Mesa Solar Sox, 12:35
Friday, 11/16 - Off Day
Saturday, 11/17 - Championship Game, 1:10
- Roster size is 30 players per team.
- Each MLB organization is required to provide at least six players.
- All AAA and AA players are eligible if they were on at least a AA roster by August 1st.
- One player below the AA level is allowed per MLB org.
- One foreign player per org is allowed, as long as the player does not reside in a country that participates in winter ball, as part of the Caribbean Confederation or the Australian winter league.
- No players with more than one year of credited Major League service as of August 31st are eligible, except an org may select one player picked in the most recently concluded Major League Rule 5 Draft.
- Players on a minor league disabled list must be activated at least 45 days before the conclusion of their respective seasons.
UPDATE: Per this article there are some new roster rules for the 2012 season, including:
But under new roster guidelines, teams can send seven players to the AFL. The seven appointments can include two low Single-A or first-year draft picks signed by July 13, two high-A players and three Double-A or higher participants.
That explains the Rays sending 3 players below the AA level. Apparently they have also changed the disabled list rule (being off for 45 days before end of season) since Hak-Ju Lee is being sent while currently on the Biscuits DL. The AFL information page still lists the rules I originally posted, so I'm not sure what other rules may have changed.