Per Stacy Long the Rays have released five minor leaguers:
- Outfielder D.J. Jones, 11th round pick in the 2007 draft, who came back this spring after retiring prior to the 2010 season.
- Catcher Tomas Francisco, who will become a coach in the Domincan Republic. He hit .247/.313/.296 in 162 ABs for Bowling Green in 2010.
- Outfielder Alex Diaz, 17th round of the 2009 draft. In 135 ABs for the Gulf Coast League Rays in 2010 he hit .304/.390/.393.
- Outfielder Bryan Fogle, 32nd round of the 2010 draft. For the Princeton Rays in 2010 he hit .260/.304/.431 in 181 ABs.
- LHP Ryan Fleckenstein, who was 3-0 with a 2.57 ERA in 20 relief appearances for the GCL Rays in 2010. Over 28.0 innings he struck out 31 and only walked 4 batters.
[Added]: To keep all of the recent minor moves in one place, here are the others from the past few days:
Released: Jonah Bayliss, Aaron Dott, Justin Garcia, Seth Henry, Kyle Lusson, Jake Sullivan (retired)
Traded: Joe Inglett to the Houston Astros for cash considerations, future considerations to the Chicago White Sox for John Shelby III
[Added from Princeton Rays facebook post]: Released: P Justin Betts-Robinson, 3B Scott Lawson, and P Justin Hall.
Dang I was hoping they would keep Diaz.ReplyDelete
Diaz was the surprise to me too. He won't turn 20 until November and did fine at GCL last year. Can't remember if I picked him as a low-level breakout last year or not, but he's always been on my short list. Not any more.ReplyDelete
Fleckenstein was good but he's 25 and never pitched above GCL.
Can't wait for the rosters, esp BG's for their OFs.
Not this time. The only one I can confirm is Jones, heard it Thursday morning. I don't think Stacy would joke about the rest.ReplyDelete
Stacy's comments are correct. There were also more releases today.ReplyDelete
I dug a little deeper on Fleckenstein due to the unusual mix of age/level and the decent stats he posted there. Turns out he went on a 2 year mission away from baseball between attending Chabot Community College and the U of Oregon. This is a decent read:ReplyDelete
Darn it i was hoping to see more of fleckenstein in the future what going to happened to him now i followed him at the ducks i hope he's get to go to another team ?ReplyDelete