The Game: Friday’s game between the Tampa Bay Rays and the Philadelphia Phillies was cancelled due to heavy rain at Charlotte Sports Park. The game will not be rescheduled.
Since the game was cancelled, here are a few updates from spring training:
* James Shields has been official named opening day starter.
* David Price is recovering fine from being hit by a bat in his glove hand on Wednesday against Boston. He is scheduled to make his next start on Monday.
* Desmond Jennings is recovering from a wrist injury after sliding into second base during Monday’s game against the Pirates. Jennings is expected to miss about a week and will them probably be sent to minor camp.
* Matt Joyce is sidelined following an MRI confirmation of a strain to his right elbow.
* Dioner Navarro will remain out of the lineup after being hit in the hand by a pick-off throw on Thursday. The ball struck Navi’s thumb and he is currently being monitored.
* Tim Beckham, Jake McGee and Nevin Ashley were sent down to minor camp on Thursday.
* Rays have reached an agreement with Leslie Anderson reportedly for 4 years, $3.75 million.
* Rays edition of MLB Network’s 30 Clubs in 30 Days debuted on March 9th but will re-air on Sunday March 14 at 8am.
A Look Ahead: The Rays (9-1) will face the cross state rival Florida Marlins (5-4) on Saturday at Charlotte Sports Park. Matt Garza is scheduled to start for the Rays.