Durham Bulls 5 -at- Gwinnett Braves 1
- Only extra-base hit was a double by C Nevin Ashley, who was 1-3 with a walk and 2 RBI.
- SS Tim Beckham was 1-5 with a strikeout, now hitting .227.
- RF Brandon Guyer was 1-4 with a sacrifice and 2 RBI, hitting .179 on the season.
- RH Jim Paduch made the start after being called up from Montgomery to replace Alex Cobb. His line: 3.0 IP, 3 hits, 1 ER, 1 walk and 4 strikeouts. Paduch and LH Adam Liberatore will rejoin the Biscuits on Monday.
- Only error was by 3B Matt Mangini, his first of the year.
- Current standings for the Bulls and the rest of the organization are on the right sidebar.
Monday starter at Charlotte: LH Alex Torres. Not sure who will start Tuesday in Bryan Augenstein's #3 spot, Ryan Reid threw 28 pitches over 2+ innings on Sunday (and got the win).
Montgomery Biscuits 3 -vs- Mobile Bay Bears 11
- Montgomery was the last team in MILB to have their home opener (others were Sunday too, but Biscuits started latest).
- Starter Shane Dyer only lasted 1 inning due to a groin injury, giving up 3 ER on 3 hits and a walk.
- Of the 5 Biscuits pitchers on Sunday, only Greg Sexton didn't allow a run. The 27 year-old third baseman made his professional pitching debut to close out the rout, going 2.0 IP and only allowing 1 hit while striking out 1.
- SS Hak-Ju Lee ended his slump going 2-4 with a walk, raising his average to .200.
- C David Wendt was also 2-4, with a run scored and an RBI.
- 3B Cole Figueroa continued to hit, 1-3 (triple) and a walk, now batting .349.
- DH Henry Wrigley was 0-2 with 2 walks and 2 strikeouts. He's hitting .211 on the year.
- After RF Isaias Velasquez left with an injury, Kyeong Kang replaced him and hit a 2-run HR in the 9th inning, lifting his average to .111.
- More on the injuries: Velasquez was hit in the head by a fly ball and taken to the hospital, Dyer is day-to-day with the groin, and Omar Luna injured his shoulder in a collision at 2B.
- Top pitching prospect Trevor Bauer started for the Bay Bears and held the Biscuits to 1 run over five innings, but did walk 5 Biscuits while only striking out 2.
- Attendance for the home opener was 6,308.
Monday starter: Unknown. This is Alex Colome's #2 spot, which was to be filled by RH Jim Paduch, who was called up for an emergency start in Durham to replace Alex Cobb, who was called up to Tampa to...
Charlotte Stone Crabs 4 -vs- St. Lucie Mets 6
- All 4 Charlotte runs came with 2 outs in the 1st inning off St. Lucie starter Angel Cuan.
- 1B Phil Wunderlich hit a HR. It was only the 2nd HR of the year for the Stone Crabs (Riccio Torrez had the 1st).
- CF Mikie Mahtook was 0-5, now at .250 on year.
- 3B Riccio Torrez was 1-4, has a hit in all 10 games this year.
- SS Derek Dietrich was 3-4, now hitting .314.
- 2B Hector Guevara was 1-4 and is hitting .324. He was also caught stealing. The Stone Crabs now have 8 SB and 11 CS this season.
- RH Wilking Rodriguez had a nice start: 5.2 IP, 2 hits, 1 ER, 2 walks and 5 strikeouts. His ERA is now 2.61.
- Eliazer Suero relieved Wilking and took the loss with 4 ER in 1.1 IP.
- Attendance in Charlotte was 975.
Monday starter vs St. Lucie: LH Grayson Garvin.
Bowling Green Hot Rods 22 -at- Lake County Captains 12
- The wind was blowing out in NE Ohio and the Hot Rods set new franchise records with 22 runs, 23 hits and 6 home runs.
- A combined 34 runs were scored yet the game only lasted 3 hours and 9 minutes. Also, there were no errors.
- The only pitcher on either team (out of 8) who didn't allow a run was Jacob Partridge, who faced only 3 batters (walking one) but was awarded the win for the Hot Rods.
- I'll touch on some highlights, but it's probably best to just look at the box score yourself.
- The Hot Rods only had hit 2 HRs all season entering Sunday. Sunday's six home runs: 2 by 3B Tyler Goeddel, others by DH Ryan Brett, RF Todd Glaesmann, LF Jeff Malm, and Drew Vettleson (his 1st extra-base hit of the season).
- Glaesmann also hit 2 doubles, giving him 4 hits on the day. Goeddel also had 4 hits.
- Goeddel had 6 RBI, Glaesmann and Vettleson 5 each. Vettleson did it despite not entering the game until the 8th inning, when he came on as a pinch runner for 1B Cameron Seitzer.
- Goeddel also led the way with 4 runs scored.
- Goeddel ended up with 10 total bases, Glaesmann was next with 9.
- The only Hot Rods player without at least 2 hits was 2B Juniel Querecuto, who was 0-5, but he did draw a walk and scored a run.
- Somehow Jeff Malm managed to strike out 3 times, but he still went 2-5 with a walk.
- Mr. Diamond Tom is barred from complaining about the offense until at least the month of May. :)
- Roberto Gomez made his 2nd start of the year and gave up 4 ER in 4.0 IP, leaving him with a 5.40 ERA.
- Andrew Bellatti had the toughest outing for BG, allowing 4 runs on 5 hits (2 for HRs) in 1.1 IP.
Monday starter vs Great Lakes: RH Jake Floethe.