WFLA-8 Tampa is reporting this morning that Rays minor league pitcher Matt Bush was arrested yesterday on several charges stemming from a DUI accident in Port Charlotte. Bush is accused of striking a motorcycle on US-41 in Port Charlotte and then leaving the scene of the accident. The motorcyclist was flown to Lee Memorial where he is in serious condition. Bush was later captured in North Port and charged with leaving the scene of an accident with serious injuries, driving with a suspended license, DUI with serious injury and DUI with property damage.
Added by Doug:
He has been charged with seven counts:
1. DUI/SERIOUS BODILY INJURY TO ANOTHER (316.193 3C2) - felony
2. ACCIDENT-LEAVE SCENE W/O GIVING AID-DEATH/INJURY (316.027 1A) - felony
3. DRIVE WHILE LICENSE SUSP CAUSES DEATH/SERIOUS INJ (322.34 6B) - felony
4. HIT AND RUN LEAVE SCENE ACCIDENT INVOLVING DAMAGE (316.061) - misdemeanor
5. HIT AND RUN LEAVE SCENE ACCIDENT INVOLVING DAMAGE (316.061) - misdemeanor
6. DUI/DAMAGE TO PERSON OR PROPERTY OF ANOTHER (316.193 3C1) - misdemeanor
7. DUI/DAMAGE TO PERSON OR PROPERTY OF ANOTHER (316.193 3C1) - misdemeanor
The initial appearance to determine who will represent him and other preliminary matters was scheduled for this morning but has been continued to Saturday, March 24th, at 8:30 am. His arraignment is scheduled for May 21st at 9:00 am.
He will remain in jail without bond at least until the initial appearance tomorrow morning. A bond amount could be set at that hearing.